Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Question about eye color and heredity...?

So my mom has four sisters, Sharon, Mellissa, and Amy. Sharon is the oldest, then Mellissa then my mom then Amy.





Both Sharon and Mellissa have blue eyes, but my mom has green eyes and Amy has hazel eyes, and both my mom's parents had blue eyes.





Sharon(her husband also has blue eyes) has 5 kids and all of them have blue eyes





Mellissa(her husband has blue eyes)has 3 kids and they all have blue eyes





Amy(her husband has blue eyes) has 2 kids but only one has blue eyes,the other has hazel





And I have a brother who has blue eyes and my dad has green eyes like my mom.





Me and my cousin Emma are the only ones who have hazel eyes.





Any idea why we didn't get the pretty blue eyes??Question about eye color and heredity...?
Blue eyes are a polygenic trait meaning that acquiring that trait depends on many other genes. As for why you specifically don't have blue eyes is hard to say. Blue eyes are a recessive trait and other colors have dominance over it.





Also noteworthy, blue eyes are considered a genetic mutation and may not have existed thousands of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
sensitive skin